Media - The Forum on Supply Chain Risk + Compliance Management 2016
MOU Signed by DHL and Chengdu Gateway Logistics Office to Accelerate Development of “Belt and Road” Trade Hub
DHL Global Forwarding, a leading international provider of air, sea and road freight services, signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) on building the China-Europe logistics corridor with Chengdu Gateway Logistics Office, the government agency responsible for developing Chengdu into a major trade hub under China’s “Belt and Road” initiative.
The MOU will see DHL Global Forwarding collaborate with Chengdu’s administration to further improve the security, customs efficiency, and freight capacity of the city’s logistics infrastructure. With Asia's largest railroad container transportation hub located in Chengdu, the city’s freight connections to Europe have undergone rapid renewal ahead of the “Belt and Road” initiative, including development of high-speed rail links like the Chengdu-Europe Express Rail between the city and Lodz, Poland in 2013; and the Chengdu-Central Asia Express Rail in 2014.
Positioned strategically along several “Belt and Road” routes including the Bangladesh-China-India-Myanmar (BCIM) economic corridor and the Yangtze River Economic Belt, Chengdu is the largest trade center in Western China and ranks first among cities in western China in terms of foreign investment in commerce and trade¹. With the MOU, DHL will also gain greater access to Chengdu’s export trade lanes, allowing it to provide services to exporters in the city’s fast-growing free trade zones like the High Tech Zone and Tianfu New Area. Some high-growth sectors like automotive production are expected to grow by more than 50% within the next 10 years,² with DHL’s specialist services in electronics and automotive logistics expected to receive particular focus from Chengdu’s industrial clusters.
“As one of the best-performing cities in China when it comes to economic growth, industrial strength, and overseas investment³, Chengdu has immense potential to add value to the former South Silk Road’s revival,” said Steve Huang, CEO, DHL Global Forwarding China. “In the next few months, we will also be working on bringing rail service from Chengdu to Turkey, furthering our rail development in the city since we first opened our West Corridor rail solution from Chengdu to Lodz three years ago. We look forward to making the most of the opportunities for growth and development in Chengdu.”
In line with the “Belt and Road” initiative, DHL has been fast developing solutions along the new Silk Road over recent years. Last year, DHL expanded the multimodal network to Taiwan, linking Taichung to the trans-Siberian North Corridor from Suzhou to Warsaw and added the westbound and eastbound services from Zhengzhou to Hamburg – in addition to the trans-Kazakh West Corridor rail service that originates from Chengdu to Lodz. In 2014, DHL introduced the first temperature-controlled China-Europe rail service on the same West Corridor, allowing temperature-sensitive products to be shipped year-round, regardless of the weather.
Source: DHL Group
- Supply Chain RISK + COMPLIANCE MANAGEMENT – What it really means to MANUFACTURERS?
- Transforming the Supply Chain with National and Global STANDARDS to manage RISK and COMPLIANCE.
- IMPORTANCE & ROLE of STANDARDS & CERTIFICATIONS in Supply Chain RISK MANAGEMENT + COMPLIANCE.
- Best Practices Case Studies + Use Cases in Supply Chain Risk + Compliance Management.
- Securing the Supply Chain ECO-SYSTEM and the role and responsibilities of the STAKEHOLDERS;
- Logistics Providers
- Freight Carriers
- Law Enforcement Agencies
- Government Agencies
- Security Professionals
- Logistics Professionals
- Freight Services Industry Companies
- Insurance Companies
- Audit Companies
- Technology Companies
- The IMPORTANCE & ROLE of TECHNOLOGY in STANDARDS Development
- TELEMATICS for Cargo + Driver Safety and Security
- Cargo Safety & Security - Explore how telematics is used for combating hijackings, thefts and robberies
- Driver Safety & Security - Explore how telematics technologies can help enhance the driver safety and security by real time monitoring of driver behavior and driver fatigue
- Fleet Performance and Fuel Efficiency - The impact of telematics and fleet management technology on insurance
- Cold Chain Management - temperature-controlled supply chain:
- Life Sciences: Clinical Trials - Hospitals and Blood - Pharmaceuticals - Vaccines,
- Fresh and Processed Food - Produce - Seafood - Meat and Poultry - Dairy - Floral
- Technology Solutions for Warehouse Safety & Security
- Physical Security Information Management (PSIM) - An Integrated Approach to Warehouse Security for simplifying the command and control - at-a-glance snapshot of all operations, enhancing their situational awareness and increasing their ability to react to any security infringements within the warehouse environment - Witness how a PSIM platform that seamlessly brings together otherwise disparate solutions - Access Control, CCTV, RFID, Intruder detection and Fire systems.
- TELEMATICS for Cargo + Driver Safety and Security