Media - The Forum on Supply Chain Risk + Compliance Management 2016
DHL Global Forwarding, today announced the successful on-time completion of German consumer electronics manufacturer MEDION’s first multimodal rail delivery from Taiwan to Europe.
MEDION brings trend-setting consumer electronics products to European consumers with DHL’s new multimodal service.
MEDION, a Lenovo company, has been the first to trial DHL's new multimodal service via Xiamen, China.
Inaugural shipment from Taiwan to Lodz spanned 10,000 km in 21 days – at up to half the time of sea freight and a third of the cost of air freight.
DHL Global Forwarding, the leading international provider of air, sea and road freight services, today announced the successful on-time completion of German consumer electronics manufacturer MEDION’s first multimodal rail delivery from Taiwan to Europe. MEDION, a Lenovo company, has been the first to trial DHL’s new multimodal service via Xiamen, China which cuts its shipping time and costs by up to half and two-thirds respectively compared to its previous ocean and air freight options.
A leading manufacturer of consumer electronic products such as smartphones, laptops, personal computers and video cameras in Germany, MEDION offers innovative, functional and high-quality products direct to consumers as well as through some of the world’s largest international retailers. MEDION’s products are distributed across Europe, Scandinavia, UK, US, Canada and Asia.
“The success of our business lies in being able to provide consumers direct and timely access to our products and also managing and controlling the entire value chain for our retail partners,” said a spokesperson of MEDION AG. “With DHL’s expertise in shipping for the consumer electronics sector, our products are delivered on time in a cost-efficient way – an important element as we continue to grow and sustain our market share throughout Europe and other regions.”
An extension of DHL’s multimodal network, the company’s new service for MEDION saw their electronics goods and components transported from Taichung, Taiwan to Xiamen via sea; before embarking on a rail journey through Chengdu, China to Lodz, Poland. From there, shipments are routed to MEDION’s main operations in Germany.
“Our multimodal solutions offer MEDION additional freight options and complement the existing DHL air, ocean and road freight services that they are already using. The successful inaugural shipment shows the service’s capabilities in supporting MEDION in its Europe-wide growth strategy,” said Steve Huang, CEO, DHL Global Forwarding China. “As ‘Belt and Road’ comes into force, we expect rail to undergo a renaissance for European and Chinese enterprises, particularly those working with electronics and manufacturing hubs along our routes like Taichung and Xiamen.”
“Fast, efficient trade routes are critical for businesses looking to take advantage of both China and Europe’s consumer markets and production capabilities,” said Charles Kaufmann, CEO, North Asia and Head of Value Added Services, DHL Global Forwarding Asia Pacific. “Early adopters to multimodal services like MEDION gain not only greater efficiency, but a competitive edge in speed-to-market and responsiveness to demand that less nimble enterprises will find it hard to catch up with.”
The new multimodal service sees DHL build on its existing multimodal network which connects Taiwan, Japan and China to continental Europe via Russia and Central Asia. DHL’s multimodal routes are closely mapped to China’s “Belt and Road” initiative with the Silk Road Economic Belt and Maritime Silk Road.
- Supply Chain RISK + COMPLIANCE MANAGEMENT – What it really means to MANUFACTURERS?
- Transforming the Supply Chain with National and Global STANDARDS to manage RISK and COMPLIANCE.
- IMPORTANCE & ROLE of STANDARDS & CERTIFICATIONS in Supply Chain RISK MANAGEMENT + COMPLIANCE.
- Best Practices Case Studies + Use Cases in Supply Chain Risk + Compliance Management.
- Securing the Supply Chain ECO-SYSTEM and the role and responsibilities of the STAKEHOLDERS;
- Logistics Providers
- Freight Carriers
- Law Enforcement Agencies
- Government Agencies
- Security Professionals
- Logistics Professionals
- Freight Services Industry Companies
- Insurance Companies
- Audit Companies
- Technology Companies
- The IMPORTANCE & ROLE of TECHNOLOGY in STANDARDS Development
- TELEMATICS for Cargo + Driver Safety and Security
- Cargo Safety & Security - Explore how telematics is used for combating hijackings, thefts and robberies
- Driver Safety & Security - Explore how telematics technologies can help enhance the driver safety and security by real time monitoring of driver behavior and driver fatigue
- Fleet Performance and Fuel Efficiency - The impact of telematics and fleet management technology on insurance
- Cold Chain Management - temperature-controlled supply chain:
- Life Sciences: Clinical Trials - Hospitals and Blood - Pharmaceuticals - Vaccines,
- Fresh and Processed Food - Produce - Seafood - Meat and Poultry - Dairy - Floral
- Technology Solutions for Warehouse Safety & Security
- Physical Security Information Management (PSIM) - An Integrated Approach to Warehouse Security for simplifying the command and control - at-a-glance snapshot of all operations, enhancing their situational awareness and increasing their ability to react to any security infringements within the warehouse environment - Witness how a PSIM platform that seamlessly brings together otherwise disparate solutions - Access Control, CCTV, RFID, Intruder detection and Fire systems.
- TELEMATICS for Cargo + Driver Safety and Security